Tuesday 30 December 2008

LIKE A BEACON

With all these people telling about their life more or less faithfully on the Internet, what is going to make your blog stand out? Let's assume for a moment that you are not going for the easy options, like peppering your production with photos of naked women (on reflection, I am not sure how much it would make your site stand out on the Internet...). Then, you have to lead a really fascinating life to have a hope of competing. The blogosphere (awful word!) is full of pages from people who raise their five children single-handedly while living in a war zone, have a successful career as international spy, make their own Christmas cards, and still find time to bake seven different types of cake every day, not to mention write about it in their blog.

Now, I am not saying that my life is boring, or even very typical, but I'm not sure I can measure up in terms of daily thrills to those love children of James Bond and Martha Stewart. If their life is a blockbuster, mine is more like a French art house movie, rich in inner turmoil and pithy monologues. I'm sure you're glad you came to this site, now...

Anyway, since it seems I have little chance of attracting a very large audience, I think I will be focussing instead on the quality of it, and make sure I have the most discerning, sophisticated, intelligent, cultured readers: people like you. See what I did there?

Still, don't be surprised if you come back in a few weeks and find this page covered with photos of naked women.

Ingres, The turkish bath (Musée du Louvre)

No comments: