Saturday 3 January 2009

OF SALES AND TALL PEOPLE

I must have been encouraged by my surgical prowesses earlier on, because I have attempted today another heroic feat, namely to go and buy a new coat in London during the sales. Contrary to many of my gender, I actually like shopping for clothes (or food - or books - well, you get the idea). But to do that during the first Saturday of the January sales seems needlessly reckless: the crowd, the noise, the cold, the ruthless fights for discounted designer clothes... Most sane men would rather remove a cast using nothing but their teeth.

Well, in the end, it was all very civilised. As I would have known if I was of the gentler sex, most of the sales had begun just after Boxing Day, and all the items worth fighting ruthlessly for were long gone. As were unfortunately all large sizes for gentlemen's coats. Have you ever noticed how a large number of short men are impeccably dressed? You might have rather ungenerously thought that they were compensating for their small size in order to catch the eye of the ladies. Okay, that's what I rather ungenerously thought. But the truth is that they are the only ones who can find any clothes that fit them, especially during sales. Clothes for taller men, already scarce in normal times, seem to vanish when sales are on.

I am not far from thinking that it's part of a huge plot by short people to achieve world domination and start a race of dapper dwarves. How else do you explain the high number of world leaders, past and present, who are of short stature: Napoleon, Berlusconi, Sarkozy, Medvedev, Kim Jong Il?... Don't say you haven't been warned!

Anyway, to cut a long story, I mean, to cut to the chase, I did get the coat I was looking for, although the lady had to get my size from the back room, probably from some secret stash. And it seems to fit rather well. What do you think?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

all is well that ends well and the coat looks "smart".
Sales in Paris is in three days, wonders how it will go.

Abraham Septimus said...

Why, thank you! That's just the kind of feedback I was looking for! ;-)
Don't worry about the sales in Paris: three days sounds just about enough to get prepared.

Andrea said...

Since I don't intend to take a day off on Wednesday, I'm not so sure the pull over I was interested in will still be available this week-end but we'ell see (it's so cold hear, I need a warm sweater).

That being said, I'll be involved in the sales process. I have to interview tomorrow a sociologist about it. his theory is the following : you feel cleverer when you find a good bargain.