Friday 6 February 2009

THE BLOGOSPHERE IS A MANY-SPLENDOURED THING


When I came to Blogger, my impression was that every other blog was created by supremely gifted writers, designers, raconteurs, whose only goal when they sat in front of their computer was to make us measure the inadequacy of our desperately uninspiring life. At least, dear reader, this is not a risk that you're running here...

However, after having browsed through a larger sample of those blogs, I can see now that the reality is more diverse. Yes, there are some who appear to be written by a domestic god/goddess, or by people who aspire to such deity status. Did you know that on Blogger, more than 43,000 people have listed knitting as one of their interest? 21,000 are interested in crocheting, 57,000 in scrapbooking, and at least one person sums up her interests as "quilting, quilting and I guess..." Well, you can probably guess too. She even writes no fewer than 3 blogs on that worthy subject. And I thought inspiration was sometimes hard to come by...

There are those of course who don't seem to have any attraction to domestic godhood whatsoever. Some of them are more concerned about actual godhood. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that more than 120,000 people on Blogger list The Holy Bible as one of their favourite book, or indeed centre of interest (sometimes the only one). After all it is, as the marketing cliché goes, an "international number one bestseller". We shouldn't be surprised either at the few thousands interested in paganism, or even the couple of hundred people who are into satanism: the world of blogging is apparently as diverse as the real world. And like in the real world, most of the weirdoes come from the United States... (so far, I have insulted: the Germans, the Scots and the Americans. Anyone keeping track? If I suddenly vanish from the blogosphere, I need someone to tell the police!)

But should we be concerned that only one person has listed "Loving (my beloved) the one God has for me even though God hasn't brought us together yet"? It does sound like a fun pastime, not too demanding, and it definitely beats traipsing around supermarkets with foldable boxes, be they ever so German...

I wonder what this pious colleague would think of the many blogs apparently written by people who are "horny", "crazy about sex" and apparently "well-endowed" (no, I'm not giving out the urls!). For those who would still be in doubt about the intent of the authors, they have been kind enough to clarify it even further by having as their profile photo a close shot of a certain part of their anatomy, whose size sometimes brings me back to those feelings of inadequacy mentioned above. Photoshop has a lot to answer for. Or so I choose to believe.

These meagre examples don't begin to do justice to the variety of interests, and indeed of personalities, displayed in the blog world. Whatever you are looking for, you will find it: whether it is scrabble tile jewelry (apparently, jewelry made of Scrabble tiles. I assume those made with Q, X, or Z are more expensive...), a horse farmer writing erotica (hopefully, there is no link between the two activities) or a fat bald satanist lesbian (don't laugh. I have seen her page!). So, if the time comes, Heaven forbid, when you grow tired of my prose, you can rest easy knowing that there will be someone, somewhere, who can cater to your specific tastes.

No comments: